When we were given the assignment to design an identity for Lamar Memorial Library (aka the Maryville College Library), I was very nervous because logo/identity design is not one of my strong suits. I really struggled with the 50 thumbnails, but I ended up being excited to work with the idea that the library is the meeting point of all of the sidewalks on campus. I think this concept makes sense visually while also being open to the interpretation that the librarians were going for. For them, and students, the library is a meeting place, both socially and academically, that provides and incredible mix of resources, from books to journals to DVDs to computers to ebooks. There is no one way to define Lamar Memorial. So, both physically and figuratively, all paths lead to the library.
In terms of design, I initially tried to create the paths themselves out of blocky lines. This really wasn’t successful as the “paths” read more as gears than anything. This rendition with the negative space serving as the paths works much better. I also wanted to make sure to integrate the columns because that adds such a sense of academia and, in relation to MC, automatically makes me think of the library. With the negative space of the bottom half of the composition, I wanted to keep white space as part of the building as well.
Overall I am very proud of this design; it turned out much better than I thought it could.
I was really excited to create an advertisement for this project for one of my favorite companies: ModCloth. The website is so fresh and innovative and their products are amazing. I really wanted to channel the very vintage feel that is a common thread through out their site. When I initially came up with the idea of creating scrapbook pages, I loved it and knew that was what I wanted my final product to be. From the critique, the biggest thing that needed changing was the rings in the center. They were just too bulky and the grey didn’t match with the rest of the composition; they carried too much weight and distracted from the photos which needed to be the focus. I narrowed them substantially and shaded them in a bronze/gold so that they fit in better. I’m glad to say this helped a lot. I also switched out the top left photo for one with more vibrant colors than what I previously had.